Monday, December 2, 2013

Long November

Wow, it has been a long time since I’ve updated, and I am sorry for that. Many things have happened to me this month -- and it all started off with me going to Costa Rica.  As soon as I got back, my students were preparing for an activity they do every year. I also had to prepare final exams for the ninth grade students because they graduate that year in Panama.

But first, I’ll start off with my little vacation to Costa Rica. In order for me to stay in Panama for a year with my tourist visa, I must leave the country every 90 days. I flew out on Friday November 8th. I was kind of nervous because I did not know who was going to pick me up. As I walked out of the airport, I saw a giant sign that said: JOSEPH YASC. I was hoping the sign was for me, and not for another Joseph. When I first got out of the airport, I looked at all the surroundings and felt a little at ease because I was not in a big city anymore. I arrived at the Costa Rica diocesan center and was greeted warmly. I started to unpack and was told the bishop wanted to see me. I started to talk to him and found out that he just got back for my home diocese in Texas. He talked with Marthe Curry and said that they want to have a partnership with them. I thought that was a true sign that God was there guiding my way. I spent most of my time relaxing and going off downtown and soaked up all the restored building and just wondered off to who knows where. I was only there for the weekend so I did not have time to see the volcanoes, but I am definitely going back. Here are some pictures of my weekend:





When I got back home, I went straight back to teaching science. I am still wrapping my head around the idea of me being a teacher. The one thing I said I would never do was be a teacher -- yet here I am and here is where God has sent me. The students were practicing for an event called Coronación y desfiles de tunas, which is basically a parade in which traditional Panamanian clothing is worn, as well as loads of singing and dancing. Each classroom in the entire school represented a separate region in Panama, and therefore wore the clothing that was traditionally worn in that region. Here are some pictures of what unfolded that day:







This was also a very different Thanksgiving for me. The week was full of being thankful. Rachel asked if I wanted to go to a thanksgiving dinner that she was invited to from her church. It was on a Wednesday night and it had all kinds of side dishes and turkey. I was really glad that I was able to spend a thanksgiving with a bunch of strangers. It helped me realize that god has always been giving me a reason for me to be thankful.
I am truly sorry for not updating enough, but November is probably the most insane month in Panama. I just want to say how grateful I am to continue doing this journey. Sometimes I feel do miss home but that is erased when I remember that I have great people that I am surrounded by in Panama. I hope I can update on a regular not because November is gone and December is going to be quick…I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment